Skip the sugar with this healthy, satisfying, protein-packed sugar-free smoothie bowl. Frozen, dark, sweet cherries make it uniquely rich, sweet and refreshing
I’m excited to share another sugar-free recipe (sugar-free fresh fruit salad has become one of the most popular recipes on the site!).
This time I have an easy to make, protein-packed, sugar-free smoothie bowl. It tastes surprisingly decadent! Perfect for a healthy breakfast.
Initially I considered making an acai smoothie bowl, but price and availability put me off. It tastes quite sharp too, which is a challenge when I want to make a healthy, sugar-free breakfast. An excellent acai alternative is frozen dessert cherries. Rich, sweet and flavourful, they make the perfect base flavour. They’re also easy to find in the freezer isle of most supermarkets. Plus they’re rich in antioxidants and very affordable.
Crucially, frozen fruits are usually picked at peak ripeness, making them extra-sweet. This is a huge advantage when cooking without sugar, because the result is highly dependant on the natural sweetness of the ingredients used.
I chose to blend most the cherries in the soy yogurt, but also layered some whole ones in the bottom of the bowl.
These semi-frozen cherries are awesome. I love the way they burst as you eat them. Rich and refreshing, they give this smoothie bowl a unique texture and flavour.
Roasted hazlenuts are a great sugar-free alternative to the usual granola topping. Crunchy and savoury, they balance the flavours well.
I hope you enjoy this easy to make sugar-free smoothie bowl! Are there any other sugar-free desserts you’d love to have? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Cherry & Hazelnut Sugar-Free Smoothie Bowl
- 500 g soy yogurt (unsweetened)
- 1 medium banana (peeled)
- 150 g frozen cherries
- 50 g frozen cherries
- 1 medium banana (peeled and sliced)
- 100 g strawberries (sliced)
- 100 g blueberries
- 4 tablespoons chopped, roasted hazlenuts
- Place ingredients from the 'to blend' list in a food processor or blender, then process until smooth.
- Divide the frozen cherries between two bowls, then pour on the yogurt mixture from step one over them.
- Garnish with the sliced banana, strawberries & blueberries. Finally, sprinkle over the chopped, roasted hazelnuts. Allow to stand for a few minutes so that the frozen, whole cherries soften a little before serving.